At present, it seems that market demands for green cleaning products are increasing as consumers looking for natural cleaning products to add some sparkle to their facility, business, workplace, etc. while reducing their environmental footprint. There are many reasons that justify the shift towards green cleaning products. These include the fact that such cleaning products ensure the overall safety of human beings as well as the environment. The health benefits from the use of environmentally friendly cleaning products are the main reason they are gaining fast demand.
Cleaning products are an essential part of any living space and people consider them as part of their lifestyle. Cleaning products play a vital role in our daily lives at home, in schools, in the office, and in other segment facilities. Cleaning agents are substances (usually liquids, powders, acids, sprays, or granules) used to remove dirt, including dust, stains, bad smells, and clutter on surfaces.
They safely and effectively remove soils, germs, and other contaminants, prevent the spread of infectious diseases, and control allergens, such as dust and mold, helping us to stay healthy. Cleaning products also enable us to care for our homes, surroundings, and possessions.
Chemicals used in cleaning products, such as laundry detergents, bleaches, dishwashing products, and other household cleaners, help to improve cleaning efficiency, making homes, offices, and other areas clean and more hygienic.
Toxic chemicals in cleaning products
There are many different types of ingredients used in cleaning products to help them perform. Potentially toxic chemicals can be found in every room in your house. If these chemicals are not properly stored or used, these products could cause minor to serious and even life-threatening health problems for you or your family.
Some laundry detergent ingestion can result in nausea, vomiting, shock, convulsions, and coma. . Asthma can also develop if a person is exposed to large quantities of detergent.
There is a wide range of “all-purpose cleaners” available in the market. These products usually contain detergents, disinfectants, solvents, etc. Many all-purpose cleaners contain toxic elements which can be highly poisonous to both humans and animals if swallowed.
Household bleach contains the chemical sodium hypochlorite in different concentrations. Chlorine bleach liquid and vapors can cause irritation to the skin, eyes, nose, and throat.
Insecticides contain some of the toxins which are harmful to human beings. These chemicals can cause headaches, dizziness, twitching, and nausea.
The main ingredient in automatic and hand dishwashing detergents is phosphate. It can cause skin irritation and skin burns.
Window and glass cleaner
The basic ingredients are ammonia and isopropanol found in window and glass cleaner. These products may be irritating to the eyes, skin, nose, and throat.
Toilet bowl cleaners
Most common toilet cleaners contain toxic chemicals. Most disinfectant cleaners are very irritating to your eyes, skin and will burn your throat and generate vapors which are very dangerous.
Drain cleaners produce dangerous fumes, can cause skin burns and can cause blindness if they come in contact with your eyes. Drain cleaners can be very dangerous if swallowed.
Growing Consumer Demand For Green Cleaning Products :
In present times, there has been a sharp rise in the popularity of various bio-based products, on account of their highly eco-friendly nature. These products are made from renewable and environment-friendly sources and plant-based surfactants such as Maize and Coconut herbal.
Green chemicals are suitable alternatives to the chemicals for a wide range of applications in the food & beverages, business, automotive, personal care, packaging, pharma industries, corporate, agriculture, textiles, and among several other sectors. As green chemicals are produced using plant-based surfactants as raw materials, which are abundantly available in nature, these chemicals serve as a low-cost alternative to fossil fuels that have limited availability.
The reasons for the growing consumer demand for green chemicals within the market are as follows :
- Many normal chemicals have toxic elements along with a bad odor which is not present in green cleaning products as they are made naturally and of cosmetic grade.
- People are getting to know the concerns regarding the fast-paced fossil fuel depletion.
- People move to green cleaning products because of low production costs. . Manufacturers charge cheaper for them as they require less material to produce.
- Green chemicals need less raw materials for their production.
- If we use green chemicals it will help in reducing the overall carbon footprint.
- Governments across the globe are curtailing their fossil fuel consumption, and are compelling end-use industries to adopt bio-based chemicals. Hence, the shift towards the adoption of such chemicals is promoting growth to the green chemicals market.
- The applications of green chemicals are less harmful to the environment as well as for the users. They are designed to maintain the natural balance by reducing certain environmental impacts regarding recycling, disposal, transportation, installation, processing, and fabrication. Using green chemicals in the manufacturing of products and their applications in various industries has been able to reduce producing hazardous substances.
- The use of green chemicals minimizes exposure to pollutants, which causes cancer, heart problems, asthma, neurological disorders, etc.
- Shifting to eco-friendly chemicals is a great move towards sustainability at the workplace.
- The use of green chemicals helps in decreasing the submission of allergic substances which are very harmful to human beings.
- The use of green chemicals will lead our children to have a better future.
- “Green Cleaning” will ensure in the long run your facilities premises are in Safe Hands along with Healthy and Productive Environment and resulting in Healthy Employees, Healthy Business.
By- Prajkta Watekar